Sunday 24 June 2012

Life Off the Grid 4 - June 17, 2012


June 17, 2012

11:10 AM

Up at 7:30. Had leftovers from dinner for breakfast. Very tasty!

It is a chilly morning. Grey sky and a sort of mist over the lake. There is a fairly brisk and teeth-chattering breeze from time to time.


I have pulled myself together and begun to go through the workout I plan to do every day. The exercises are complex, so it is necessary to go through the book and figure out form for each before being able to do it as a real workout. No good having to stop in the middle of everything and look up the move... It seems to be a pretty tough workout, although interestingly different from what I have been doing in boot camp these past few weeks. Now if I can find a way for the dogs to cope with all my strange behaviours, it should be good. Exercises that involve rapid arm or leg waving get them all wound up, leaping around me and barking. And exercises that call for me to lie on the floor seem to them to be an invitation to climb on me. Try doing the plank, lifting knees alternately, with an 80 pound dog standing with his front feet on your back. And the other one trying to crawl underneath.

The radio says it will go up to 21C today. It's only 15 so far, so I have some doubts. The sun peeks out and smiles weakly down on the earth from time to time. It gives a little hope, but then the clouds press in again and the light fades.

I didn't get around to rinsing and soaking those chickpeas I mentioned a couple of days ago. I think I will do that now. Curried chickpeas tomorrow! I have fair trade garam masala from the health food store. It will be a feast.

I have had the dogs out to play fetch. The water is too cold – I don't like to send them in when it's this cold – so we just played in front of the cabin. Still makes for a lot of wild leaping and tearing around.


They were willing enough to come in for a lie down. I might even split some wood. If this weather keeps up I am going to want to have a fire in the stove. Bundling up and shivering is getting old fast.

2:10 PM

It has gone quite warm out. I had a lunch of Flax Omega 3 Spaghettini and basil pesto. Then pups and I went out to see if it was warmer out. It was. Gloriously warm as long as the clouds weren't covering the sun. We played on land for awhile, then Guinness indicated he was interested in getting in the water. So, for another half hour I threw toys off the dock, with the dogs chasing them into the water. Much splashing and tail wagging and big grins. The bugs were intolerable. I tried to ignore them, but eventually I had to give up and go in. Fortunately, the panting dogs were agreeable to this idea.

 Seamus (aka the Princess), sacked out on his favourite couch...

Guinness prefers his "man-cave" under the hammock...

9:30 PM

Made some spaghetti sauce with a couple of tomatoes, some onion, some mushrooms and asparagus, and tossed it with high fibre fusilli.

 It has been getting increasingly dark through the afternoon and is now raining in earnest. Time for bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment