Monday 25 June 2012

Life Off the Grid 6 - June 19, 2012


June 19, 2012

7:30 AM

Wet. It's wet out. Foggy. Sort of misting. The deck boards are slippery and slimy. Forecast is for more rain today and tomorrow. Blech.

Chilly too! About 12C in the cabin, only 10C outside. That's 50F for anyone who doesn't think in metric. I'm getting tired of my nose running all the time.

I need to go get water from the lake. Brrrrrr!

9:15 AM

Got a fire going in the stove. This will make a dramatic improvement in my quality of life. Don't know why I didn't do it before. I guess maybe I couldn't accept that it is freakin' cold and may continue wet and cold for the summer. I still hope that the weather will improve, that summer will unfold gloriously hot and sunny. But I have comes to terms with the idea that this is what it is for now. And I jolly well better start adapting.



So, I will make several more trips today to bring in wood. Get the wood bins filled, maybe make some kindling. Settle in. It is conducive to writing, at least.

10:30 AM

Keeping the fire going. It's a couple of degrees warmer in here than outside now. It takes awhile to heat this place. I'll have to go out for more wood soon. Everything is damp so I need to let the wood dry out a bit by the stove before it will burn well. The dogs will enjoy getting outside for a bit of a romp. They are pretty bored.

They just said on the radio to expect multiple thundershowers from this afternoon through into tomorrow. And lots of rain. Ok. Wood getting now before it starts.

11:00 AM

Now that's what I like to see! A full wood bin. That is a happy sight indeed.



I could keep going and fill the bin by the fireplace as well, but I've had enough close encounters with big scary spiders for one day. Spiders love wood piles. Fortunately, they scuttle away in a panic when I lift out the logs. And, fortunately, none of them knows that all it would take is for one of them to stand her ground and wave her creepy legs at me, to send me running and screaming.

2:00 PM

Fire still going. It is 16C in the cabin, 14C outside (to translate, that's 58F outside and about 62F inside).

Much better than before. Tolerable, even.

6:15 PM

Wow. Positively balmy in here now. 18C! I may even take my jacket off. But not my boots. Not for a few degrees yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment