Sunday 1 July 2012

Life Off the Grid 7 - June 20, 2012


June 20, 2012

6:30 AM



Heavy grey clouds. Chilly. Damp. Basically the same as yesterday. And the day before that, and the day before that...

10C outside, but 15C inside. Yay for insulated shelter!

A week ago today I was driving and driving and driving. Not driving is better.

We'll be going to Winnipeg on Friday. Probably a good thing. Getting a bit low on food. I have 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, some asparagus, some onion... There is salad left over, and eggs. My sprouts are ready! And I have lots of grains. I'd be ok for a bit, but meals get pretty boring once the veggies are gone.

8:20 AM

Been out with the dogs for a bit. Threw toys, got the tape measure from the shed, got 2 more buckets of water from the lake. The water seems not too bad this morning. Maybe my body temperature has just dropped so it seems warmer.



9:00 AM

Breakfast is almost ready. A curried asparagus and sprouts omelette.

10:40 AM

Wow. The Beach Boys are on Q, talking about their 50th anniversary album and tour. These guys are in their 70s. I mean, good for them, I guess. They don't sound that old singing on the new album. Their speaking voices sound like old guys though.

11:30 AM

Went up to the truck with the dogs. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought there were 2 cases of beer left, but there were 4. I brought 2 down, as well as a bag of dog treats I had left under the back seat.

Lots of mushrooms along the path. The waterfall is flowing merrily. We'll go up again tomorrow to get the last 2 cases and take some things up I will need to take to Winnipeg on Friday. It'll be nice to have cold beer waiting when we get back on Saturday night.

1:50 PM

Heating up the last of the chickpea curry. There is a really noisy bird outside. Seamus is really interested in this. He is sitting, gazing out the screen door and he seems to be trembling with intensity. Expecting leaping and barking in 3, 2, 1...

5:00 PM




It's raining hard. It's dark, not like night, but like much later. I can't see across the lake because there is a heavy fog, or maybe just it's raining that hard. My poor tomatoes are getting drowned.

I have been reading Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess)'s book, “Let's Pretend This Never Happened” and laughing so hard. So hard I had tears pouring down my face and beer almost came out my nose. It is prefect for a gloomy, wet, cold, dark day like this. If you find yourself having such a day, I heartily recommend this book. Also, it helps if you are teensy bit odd yourself. The enjoyment of the book I mean. I can imagine some people who would not be amused by it. They also would not be particularly fun at a party.

WHY DOESN'T IT STOP RAINING ALREADY????

7:00 PM

Still raining hard. Fantasizing about indoor plumbing. My hoodie is still not completely dry from the last time I went out...

8:00 PM



It seems to have stopped raining for a bit. It's lighter out than it's been all day.

8:30 PM

I have finished the book.
I laughed so hard it hurt. If you haven't read it already, WHY NOT???

9:15 PM

The dogs and I went down to the lake to look at the first clear sky for days.  I took some photos.





I know I shouldn't bore folks with my summer photos. But it's just so darn pretty, I can't help myself.

9:30 PM

I'm cold. I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment