Monday 20 August 2012

Life Off the Grid 33 - July 16, 2012

Life Off the Grid 33 – July 16, 2012

8:00 AM

Cold, wet, grey, dark. I have been down to get water. The lake is warm. Warmer than the air. It would be lovely to swim in, but terrible to get out.

I also had to change the propane tank again. I knew there was not much life left in the partial tank I put on... And this is another partial tank, swiped off the gas light pipe. I don't need gas light as much as I need the tank on the BBQ. I seem to be short propane tanks. There's a full one and an empty one up by the truck. There's an empty one down here and a partial on the BBQ and a partial on the kitchen pipe. So, that's 5. Ok. I suppose that's right. I think I will take all the empties to town next time I go and get another one besides and take the lot down the quad path next cabin over and leave them on the dock and then go and get them with the boat. Not worthwhile for just one tank, but if I am bringing in several...

It's going to be a long day. Too wet to do anything outside. Can't go anywhere in case the roof estimator comes, although I think it's pretty unlikely in weather like this. I wish there was a comfortable place to curl up and read.

9:00 AM

The dishes are all done. I am cooking a pot of millet for breakfast. Organic hulled millet: 190 calories, 2.5 mg sodium, 4.5 grams fibre, 5.5 grams of protein. Millet is an ancient grain and one of the most digestible and least allergenic. It is supposed to warm the body and ward off illness. Very simple to prepare as well. Add one part millet to 2 parts boiling water, cover and let simmer on low for about 45 minutes, or until all the water is evaporated. Then season as you wish, sweet or savoury. The nutritional details I give here are for 1/2 cup millet to 1 cup of boiling water. Such a small quantity will likely take less cooking time.

10:00 AM

Millet is yummy. Especially dressed up with some spices and a dash of Bragg.

10:45 AM

It is so cold. I am having tea.

2:45 PM

My poor little Seamus is throwing up again. Just when it seems he is done, off he goes again. For some reason, he also feels it best to move about the cabin as he pukes. I have been following him with paper towels. Poor thing has settled on the couch now. Perhaps he will feel better after a nap...

4:45 PM

It has been a slow day. I've been reading, huddled in a blanket, when I haven't been mopping up puppy sick, or picking ticks off Guinness, or fussing over them both. No sign of the roof estimator yet. As it is nearly 5, I do not expect he will turn up now.

It's 18C, as warm as it's been all day. I may roast a potato for supper, that's always comforting. Or pasta and the leftover sauce. That sounds really good too.

5:30 PM

Just heard on the news about a nine-week old puppy being thrown from a moving vehicle in Winnipeg. The people who did that should be caught and thrown out of a moving vehicle themselves. Really. How can people be so awful!?!

8:15 PM

I know it's early. But I am tired of this uncomfortable chair. I wish to lie down with my book, under blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment