Monday 5 January 2015

I am Canadian



I am Canadian.
I live in a house, not an igloo.
I drive a truck, not a dogsled team (although, I do have a Siberian Husky/Irish Setter cross – he doesn't like the cold any more than I do).
I believe in the country providing health care to all, regardless of their ability to pay for it - we take care of each other.
I believe in a strong and progressive educational system where children are valued, regardless of who their family is or what their race, religion, or socioeconomic status might be – educated children are our future.
I believe in science, because science lets us reach into atoms and out beyond the stars.
I believe that paying taxes that are used to benefit my community, my fellow Canadians, and my country is a good thing.
I believe in respecting the First Nations of our country – we owe them much.
I believe in art, and music, and literature, I believe Canadians are among the most talented and creative people in the world and we should rejoice in that.
I believe in Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, our constitution and the Supreme Court of Canada that protects those rights for all of us.
I believe in protecting the environment for future generations.
I believe in peace, order and good governance.
I believe the justice system should be about making society better and helping people cope and fit in, much more than punishing and disabling.
I believe we should all be able to follow our dreams.
I believe in keeping the peace and being an honest broker in the world.
I believe in Canada, but I think we have lost our way.
I am Canadian.

2 comments:

  1. You just spoke for about 35 million people. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou well said. I am Canadian Too.

    ReplyDelete