Thursday 9 August 2012

Life Off the Grid 25 - the Folk Festival Journey - July 8, 2012

Life off the Grid 25 – July 8 2012

Tired. Brutally tired. Sunburned. Dirty and itchy. We tore down the camp first thing in the morning. I made 3 trips to the truck with wheelbarrows full of camping gear. Then I brought the truck around to the trailhead and Heather and Jenny came along with the rest. Truck finally loaded, we drove across the road and went to the festival. It was about 30C. No clouds.

We went and sat at Burr Oak stage. Or, more precisely, lay on the ground in the shade. Dozed a bit. Fretfully.

Heather and company went and got henna tattoos.


Shortly after 3 PM I realized that I was just holding on, toughing it out until the main stage and the finale. I was actually quite miserable. I decided I had to go. I had to get out of the heat and shower. Either that or faint.

On my way to the truck I passed this:


I don't really recall the drive back to Heather's. Her cat, Baby, was happy to see me. 



At least that is how I am choosing to interpret it. She rushed at me, yowling loudly and proceeded to rush back and forth in front of me as I tried to do my laundry. An alternate interpretation is that she was yelling at me and then trying to kill me. I showered and felt a bit better. While I showered, Baby pushed the bathroom door open, got up on the side of the tub and appeared to be intent on jumping in with me. I felt this could not end well, and had to keep repelling her by splashing water in her direction. I got some food. I fell asleep and woke up 4 hours later when Jeff texted me. I called him and we talked for a little bit. Right after I got off the phone Heather got home. We hung out for a little while, then we both went to bed. I slept another 5 hours.

So, sorry, I can't offer finale photos. The crowd sings a few tunes – The Mary Ellen Carter, Wild Mountain Thyme, and Amazing Grace. People lock arms and sway back and forth. Some weep. Many embrace. It's all very moving and emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment