Friday 10 August 2012

Life Off Tthe Grid 27 - July 10, 2012

Life Off the Grid 27 – July 10, 2012

9:30 AM

Beautiful morning. Sunshine and already over 20C. Last night I found Guinness has a big sore on his neck. It is swollen and seeping. I have to take him to the vet tomorrow morning. I was going to go today, but I realized I am not nearly ready to go into town. I have to take photos of the cabin and measurements of the exterior walls so I can hire a roofer. I have to figure out dates for Katherine and Ty to come and visit. And I didn't get up early enough. I think we have to leave here about 7AM to get everything done and get back here before the real heat of the day starts. The forecast is for 34C ... He doesn't seem bothered by the sore, but I am. How did he get it and how did his caregiver not notice or tell me about it?

Tomorrow I will have to get paint for the dock and paint for the cabin. Hire a roofer. Take Guinness to the vet. Update blog. Get more dog toys to replace the floaty ones that have disappeared. Today I will measure the cabin walls. Take photos of the cabin and roof. Go up to the truck and bring some stuff down – clothes, my boots (which I am already missing), beer, dog toys, maybe tool boxes it I have capacity to do two trips. That is a bit doubtful. I am still very tired. Very, very tired. I am not thinking there is going to be much high energy activity today. I did set my alarm for 6 so we could go into town today, but when it went off I couldn't function. I was in a fog.

11:30 AM

32C outside. Must go up to the truck soon.

2:00 PM

Still 32C outside. Went up to the truck and brought some stuff down. The dogs came with me, of course. The biting bugs up at the parking place were intolerable. I felt like that arm in the old Off! commercials stuck in a case full of mosquitoes. I am clearly taking a recovery day. I am keeping my expectations for accomplishments low for today. Soon I will psych myself up to go out and measure the walls and take photos of the cabin and roof. Soon.

6:20 PM

Did the measurements of the cabin. Took photos of the structure. Played with the dogs and had a good swim. The water is lovely. No need for a wet suit today!






I am beginning to feel a bit more purposeful. Beginning to feel more like accomplishing things rather than empty and drained. I think it is really important to recognize when you get to the point when you are just going through the motions. That is the point to step back. Give yourself a moment (or a day) when you don't expect too much. Recover. For me, a lazy day can get me energized and anxious to get things done.

Right now Seamus is having a case of the barks. He is just standing, barking at me. I guess I have not been exciting enough for him today. I'm sorry, Sweetie. Mommy is tired out. Tomorrow will be better. A good night's sleep, then up early and going to town. Get things done as fast as possible, and back for an afternoon of sploshing in the lake and throwing balls and squeakers and frisbees.

8:40 PM

The dogs got all worked up and I let them out and followed them down to the dock. There was a fishing boat just at the point to the right of our bay. I waved in what I thought was a friendly manner. They revved their motor and booted it out of our bay. Apparently I have the reputation of wicked witch on the lake. Ok, then. Actually, I can deal with that.

9:00 PM

The boys are worked up again. This time they are concentrating their attention on the side door, toward the path leading to the truck. Where the bear scat is. Low growls instead of barking. I think I will keep them in.

Nibbles of kale chips are about as much as I can manage tonight for dinner. Just too tired and uninspired to cook something. Soon to bed. Must be up early.

Wow! This solar thing is awesome. I have a table light on and I'm powering my laptop. Solar works. And after the investment in equipment, it's free. Clean energy from the sun. I like it. I like it a lot. I really do think we should convert the house in Alberta to solar power as well. I am a believer. The guys we bought the equipment from actually sell power back to the grid in Alberta. They make money off solar power instead of paying for their electricity. What an awesome concept! I was shocked when I learned a lot of the electricity in Alberta is derived from coal. Seriously? Coal? It just seems so industrial revolution. How can this still be going on? Coal. Time to go solar. Definitely.

9:40 PM

I think I will go up to bed. Maybe read Game of Thrones for a bit. Alarm set for 6 AM. Up and out in the morning. If I am too early for the vet or home hardware or Canadian Tire, we can sit in the parking lot at McDonalds and use the free Wi-fi to upload blogs and communicate with my family... I am an honest person. I will make some kind of purchase before using their internet. Juice, perhaps...

1 comment:

  1. HI Nor,
    I've been following your blog. Hope Guinness is feeling better. Looking forward to seeing the painted cabin. Amazing that you have solar electricity, cool! Sounds like hard hot work there, whew! Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete