Sunday 8 July 2012

Life Off the Grid 18 - The Folk Fest Journey Begins - July 1 2012

July 1, 2012

Canada Day.

Jeff and I drove into Winnipeg with the dogs in the morning. Everything took longer than it should have getting ready to go.  I needed to change the propane tank on the fridge so my stuff would stay cold for the 9 days I will be away. Couldn't find the vice-grips to unhook the tank.  I know, most people have some handy device that can be unscrewed easily with bare hands.  Not here.  Tools are required.  Finally used a pair of pliers. Various other things were misplaced and found again, and finally we trudged up the hill to the truck.

It was already quite hot when we got to the city.  We had planned to go for lunch with Heather, but because we couldn't leave the dogs in the vehicle because of the heat, we decided we would have a picnic at Crescent Park.  Getting to Heather's place, and away from it, was difficult as many streets in the area were blocked off for the Osborne Street festival.  But, we managed and we had a nice lunch.

Got Jeff to the airport in time for his flight.  Then I needed to cope with where to stay with my dogs.  I had planned to stay with family, but while I was in the bush they had had some medical issues and could not take us in.   Fortunately the Quality Inn, which used to be The Grant, is pet friendly.  And they had a room available.  We checked in.

Then came the interesting part. Our room was on the 4th floor.  This meant the dogs were going to take their first-ever ride in an elevator.  They were not impressed. Subsequent trips up and down did nothing to increase their enthusiasm.  Tiny elevator, two big dogs rushing about in it like sheep in a small pen.  Frantic. Not fun.

Once we got to the room, though, they settled down nicely.  Quite content to sit by my feet while I worked away on my computer. They were so very good, in fact, that I would not hesitate to take them to a hotel again, should the need arise. Well, apart from the elevator issue.  Maybe a motel would be better.  Stairs they handle without any problem.

From my hotel window I can see Canda Day fireworks.  In fact, I can see both the fireworks at the Forks and the fireworks at Assiniboine Park.






No comments:

Post a Comment